[Mailman-i18n] Question about the utf-8 tag

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi at is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Mon May 9 04:56:04 CEST 2005

Hi,

आलोक कुमार wrote:

> Hello list,
> I'm in the process of starting to do the translation for Mailman into
> Hindi (hi_IN.UTF-8).

First of all, the character set designation in the language code is not
supported in Mailman. It is specified in Mailman/Defaults.py and can be
added in mm_cfg.py.  Please read the comments in Defaults.py.in.

> I had a few questions first, please redirect me if this is not the
> correct place to ask.
> 1. Is there a priority in which the translations should be done?
> 2. What percentage or translations costitute a go ahead for inclusion
> of a locale in a future release?

No consensus is done up to now, I believe.

> 3. Is it possible to just translate the public html pages first, and
> have only those included first?

I think it's OK if the users of your language are OK.

> 4. The Mailman list I own, has the archives at
> http://lists.sarovar.org/pipermail/devanaagarii-lipi/ - the pages
> there have the utf-8 tag, however the pages do not get displayed in
> utf-8 the first time. That's not true for the other pages on the same
> server, only for the Mailman pages. Other sites that have the utf-8
> tag (eg http://devanaagarii.net) also display utf-8 in the first shot.
> Why is this behavior so? Is there any other setting involved?

This is configured in httpd.conf (if your server is Apache).  See the
install document specifically:
http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node10.html

> Regards
> Alok