[Mailman-i18n] Should we join the Translation Project?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Oct 11 10:37:29 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 10:22, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> Barry Warsaw wrote:
> > I would try to arrange with Francois so that we could import all our
> > existing po files, and allow a grace period on the disclaimer.
>
> I'd like to clarify two things: first, François is no longer
> coordinating the TP; it is now Karl Eichwalder and myself.

Ah, good to know, thanks.

> Second,
> submission of disclaimers should be independent of TP participation:
> copyright procedures for translators should be decided within the
> project - the TP can only offer to enforce the procedures, it cannot
> define them.

Good, then we could implement a grace period for getting disclaimers
in.  How easy is it to import our existing .po files?

> That said, projects that are part of the GNU project should have
> copyright assignments, translation disclaimers, and so on - atleast RMS
> tells us that this is how things should be within the GNU project.

Definitely.  Mailman's translators should read the disclaimer and expect
to send them in to the FSF, regardless of whether we move to the TP or
not.  I've been lax about this, and I'd like to start getting these
ducks in a row.

Besides that Martin, do you have any other input which might help us
decide whether to move Mailman into the TP or not?

-Barry