[Mailman-i18n] Pipermail and non-English lists

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi@is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Thu Nov 21 12:40:03 2002

Hi,

> I would add this issue to the installation instructions. People who
> use non-Latin-1 regularly will notice quickly that they get mojibake.

Where did you learn japanese? Or, is this (mojibake) already an
internaltional word?

BTW, I propose each language define 'alternative charsets' which are
safely convertible to the 'standard charset' for the language. On entry
to the global pipeline, incoming message is examined and converted to the
stdcharset if possible. Name the module Entry.py and rough algorithm
may be like this;

if mlist.preferred_language has altcharsets \
    and msg.charset in altcharsets:
        msg = unicode(msg, msg.charset).encode(stdcharset)

'replace' may be needed for safety.

Japanese need this because there are three charsets widely used.

http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/