[Mailman-i18n] Pipermail and non-English lists

Martin v.Löwis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sat Nov 16 18:49:46 2002

barry@python.org (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:

>     MvL> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/playground/
>
>     MvL> This HTML page is formatted as KOI-8R, but that encoding is
>     MvL> nowhere declared.
>
> Really?  When I use Moz1.1's "get page info" it tells me that the
> encoding is KOI8-R.  Where would it get this information from?

I have no idea.

Connected to mail.python.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /pipermail/playground/ HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 18:47:31 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix)
Last-Modified: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:54:55 GMT
ETag: "1a00a9-100d-3dd2d83f"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

<HTML>
  <HEAD>
     <title>The Playground Archives</title>
     <META NAME="robots" CONTENT="noindex,follow">
  </HEAD>

As you can see, there is no indication of a charset. Perhaps Mozilla
1.1 does smart guessing? Mozilla 1.0 displays Mojibake.

>     MvL> It appears that we need either to recode the message in the
>     MvL> encoding of the HTML header/footer, or recode the HTML
>     MvL> header/footer to the encoding of body of the message (using
>     MvL> character references where necessary).
>
>     MvL> Which one would you prefer?
>
> I'm not sure it much matters, because those pages are statically
> created, so even changing the list's preferred language won't change
> the already generated archive pages.

It might matter for some Web browsers, which might be able to render
one of these versions better than the other. For a conforming browser,
it should not matter.

Regards,
Martin