[Mailman-i18n] Pipermail and non-English lists

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Wed Nov 13 19:39:55 2002

ites:

    MvL> It appears that pipermail does not work will with the message
    MvL> catalogs.  Please have a look at

    MvL> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/playground/

    MvL> This HTML page is formatted as KOI-8R, but that encoding is
    MvL> nowhere declared.

Really?  When I use Moz1.1's "get page info" it tells me that the
encoding is KOI8-R.  Where would it get this information from?

    MvL> More disturbingly,

    MvL> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/playground/2002-November/0000=
18.html

    MvL> has the body of the message encoded as UTF-8. However, the
    MvL> rest of the page is still encoded as KOI8-R.

Yikes.

    MvL> It appears that we need either to recode the message in the
    MvL> encoding of the HTML header/footer, or recode the HTML
    MvL> header/footer to the encoding of body of the message (using
    MvL> character references where necessary).

    MvL> Which one would you prefer?

I'm not sure it much matters, because those pages are statically
created, so even changing the list's preferred language won't change
the already generated archive pages.

-Barry