[Mailman-i18n] translation checker

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:28:53 -0400

    >> Guido and I are really trying to push $name strings for i18n
    >> projects.  It's a major reason why I wrote PEP 292:

    SP> I personally don't like this idea, mainly because I love
    SP> python for its minimalism and having three interpolation
    SP> methods is baroque :) Anyway I'll try to support them too.

I know, it's controversial.  :)  Still I've seen way too many problems
with %(name)s to be really happy with it.

    >> Yes, I'll automatically update the catalogs too! :)

    SP> feewww :)

:)

    >> I'd make is switching from hard-tab indents to 4-space indents
    >> (no tabs).  I've done that in my copy and could check that into
    >> the Python tree if you like.  Either way, I'd love to include
    >> this in some project.

    SP> Yeah!  Where do I need to sign? :)

If you'd like to add it to the Python distro (which after more
thinking is probably the right place for it), nothing!... yet.

Eventually the PSF will have a contribution form such as proposed here:

    http://www.python.org/psf/psf-contributor-agreement.html

but it's not been approved yet, so we'd just have to remember to do it
later <wink>.

If you give me the green light, I'll add it to Python 2.3cvs.  Then I
can copy it into Mailman's bin/ directory "for convenience" <wink>.

-Barry