[Mailman-i18n] I wanna join in Brazilian Portuguese Translation Team.

Gleydson Mazioli da Silva gleydson.mazioli@ima.sp.gov.br
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 08:40:40 -0300

barry@python.org (Barry A. Warsaw) em Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:49:11 -0400 escreveu:

>     JSM> For the moment I am the only one working on the "pt_PT"
>     JSM> translation, and I have not finished the translation so far .
>     JSM> But I think that there must exist two versions for the pt
>     JSM> translations.
>
> So let me see if I understand: What we currently have in cvs as the
> "pt" translation should really be "pt_BR" translation, with you
> providing a "pt_PT" translation some time soon?

Yes, the currently cvs translation is for pt_BR language, but I suggest
that it should be set as pt_BR to leave pt_PT free for future inclusion
(not for me, but for another person). Really the pt_PT language has
some different words than pt_BR language that confuses the user :-)

>     GMdS> Normally, the portuguese Brazilian language is set to "pt"
>     GMdS> if it's added before the original pt_PT langauge (it's
>     GMdS> mother language). As portuguese Debian translator, I suggest
>     GMdS> to add Brazilian Portuguese as pt_BR for future inclusion of
>     GMdS> pt_PT language, if possible :-)
>
>     GMdS> That approach could open ways to add more support for
>     GMdS> variants of mother language (documented in ISO 3166 or new,
>     GMdS> if I'm not wrong)
>
> So here's the question: will the pt_PT and pt_BR catalogs and
> templates be two completely independent translations, or will one be a
> partial specialization of the other?

The translation is identical, but these are completely independent
translations. For now (until appear a pt_PT translation made
from someone), we could link pt_PT to pt_BR to add locale support
for both languages (if possible).

Gleydson Mazioli da Silva
gleydson@ima.sp.gov.br
Consultor de Servidores GNU/Linux
IMA - Informática de Municipios Associados
Av. Anchieta 200 - Campinas - SP
(19) 3232-9611 - R. 216