[Mailman-i18n] HTML entities (é) in es, it, no translations

Martin von Loewis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
01 Feb 2002 11:39:47 +0100

Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> writes:

>     Martin> I can't see any reason why gettext(3) would have any
>     Martin> difficulties with iso-2022-jp.
>
> It's possible that " could exist within a iso-2022-jp string, I
> believe; this would probably throw off gettext's parsing when
> you get a string like:

That would be a msgfmt(1) problem, right? I doubt gettext(3) has any
problems if you manage to compile the catalog.

As for the msgfmt problem, I think msgfmt uses the mbcs routines of
the C library, which should be capable of distinguishing between a
byte that is part of a multi-byte character, and an individual ASCII
byte. So I think this should be implementable without any change to
the syntax; if it still fails, you might want to submit a bug report.

Regards,
Martin