[Mailman-i18n] HTML entities (é) in es, it, no translations

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi@is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Fri, 01 Feb 2002 09:44:53 +0900

Hi,

> I'm not surprised. The traditional encoding on Unix is eucJP; and
> gettext/libc can transparently recode the message to any target
> format. So the catalog could be in eucJP, or utf-8, and you still
> could produce messages in iso-2022-jp.
>
> I just tried it on a catalog; msgfmt complained about two problems:
> for one thing, it complains that iso-2022-jp is not a portable
> character set name, i.e. that many systems apparently don't recognize
> this character set name. The other problem is that it complains about
> illegal escape sequences. I don't know where this comes from; it might
> be a gettext mbcs bug, or a glibc bug, or an error in my data. If you
> have real data which are not properly processed by msgfmt, please
> report that bug to Bruno Haible.
>
> I can't see any reason why gettext(3) would have any difficulties with
> iso-2022-jp.

iso-2022-jp conatins " and \ in the second byte. Big5 also.

I think iso-2022-jp is only for message transportation and
not good for text manipulation like within Mailman.

I still recommend all the messages and templates should
be encoded in EUC-JP within Mailman and Web Interfaces, and
converting them into iso-2022-jp when mail is in and out.

http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/