[Mailman-i18n] Subject lines in Archives

Martin von Loewis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon, 1 Apr 2002 10:45:00 +0200 (CEST)

> I believe the rationale is that when the Japanese codecs are accepted
> into Python, the author did not want the older versions conflicting
> with them.  I'm pretty sure the Chinese and Korean codecs are
> installed in the same way.

I don't think this is the rationale. I think the rationale is that the
first release wrote right into the encodings directory of Python, and people
complained about that. Then, he changed it to a separate package, and
could not figure out to make it more convenient. I think the Chinese
and Korean codecs are the same because they copied the infrastructure
from the Japanese codecs.

We are both guessing.

Regards,
Martin