[Mailman-i18n] marking-process status

François Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
01 Oct 2001 10:28:02 -0400

[Daniel Buchmann]

> If you remove the "fuzzy" marks in your mailman.po file, I think you
> should see that all text is translated.

An entry is `fuzzy' if it has been generated automatically, by approximate
matching at previous `msgmerge' time, or otherwise (like for the PO file
header itself), and not yet revised by a human.  The human translator
removes the `fuzzy' indicator when she's happy with the approximation,
of after she corrected it.  PO mode has provision to remove the `fuzzy'
automatically after edition (I do not remember if these are defaulted.)

These fuzzy entries are not retained for run-time translations, because
they may be plain wrong, and also, because they may break the software.
For example, format specifiers (like `%d') may be introduced that do not
correspond in type or quantity to the actual substitution list, yielding
run-time errors.  The execution of a program should never fail merely because
translations were asked for, or else, users will get so angry at localisation
that they would run away with strong intents to never come back! :-)

This is why `fuzzy' entries exist, and are not retained at run-time.