[Mailman-i18n] Automatic translation between GB and BIG5 code

Tokio Kikuchi tkikuchi@is.kochi-u.ac.jp
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 15:28:00 +0900

"Barry A. Warsaw" wrote:

> However, I've had trouble running it through msgfmt.  See the errors
> below.  If anybody can lend assistance, it would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> -Barry
>
> -------------------- snip snip --------------------
> % make catalogs
> msgfmt -o big5/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.mo big5/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po
> big5/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po:57: end-of-line within string
> big5/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po:93: illegal control sequence

Hi Barry,

I am not very sure but Big5 encoding may contain \ (backslash)
in some of the double byte characters.
In Japanese encoding, Shift_JIS has such an encoding scheme;
while the first byte of Shift_JIS is 8th bit set, the following
second byte may contain 7 or 8 bit code.
There is a patch/module for Python to distiguish the second byte
'\' in Japanese but I don't know if such is there for Chinese.

--
tkikuchi@ is.kochi-u.ac.jp
http://weather.is.kochi-u.ac.jp/