[Mailman-i18n] Dutch translation

Juan Carlos Rey Anaya jcrey@uma.es
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:50:09 +0200

Thomas Wouters wrote:
>=20
> The other thing is that some messages need rewriting in the english in =
order
> for it to fit in Dutch; For instance,
>=20
> msgid "Creating archive directory "
>=20
> The extra space after the 'directory' suggests, to me, that Mailman wil=
> append the directory name. In Dutch, the best translation would be
>=20
> msgstr "Maak archief directory %(directory)s aan."

Almost all translated messages are intented to be shown in web pages.
Another amount of messages must be written verbatim, bacause they will
be either to be shown in screen or to be sent by email to users.

When I'm in doubt about how to write some messages, I give a glance to
source code in order to see the destination of the intended message.

In this particular case, msgid "Creating archive directory " is
contained in Archiver/pipermail.py in a line with:
self.message(_('Creating archive directory ') + self.basedir)

This code must be rewritten to solve this particular problem as done
with greetings page in 'listinfo.py', to somethig like:
dir =3D self.basedir
self.message(_('Creating archive directory %(dir)s'))
so you can write:

msgid "Creating archive directory %(dir)s"
msgstr "Maak archief directory %(dir)s aan."

Cheers
--=20
                          ___
                         / F \
                        [[[]]]]
                        ( O O )
   |    Juan Carlos Rey Anaya (jcrey@uma.es)      |
   |      Servicio Central de inform=E1tica         |
   |       Universidad de M=E1laga - Espa=F1a         |