[Mailman-i18n] Internationalized Mailman

Victoriano Giralt vic@vgg.sci.uma.es
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 15:30:42 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> One piece is marking all the translatable text in the Mailman sources.
> You should work on this last and don't spend much time on it.  I'm
> actually starting to do that myself, as I'm playing with the i18n
> infrastructure.
This is the cornerstone of the I18N effort. The problem is that it can
block the testing of the other pieces. It is a bit daunting task, we did
it twice (1.0b6 and 1.2), and, of course, will be more than willing to
offload it to someone :) Our idea for this part of the project was to use
the scarce voluteers' help (see bottom) to work in this task, in order to
get it done as quick as possible, so we can start the other two pieces,
that can be done in parallel.

> A second piece is creating the mechanisms for selecting languages on a
> per user, per list basis, etc.  I'd like to see what you guys have
> come up with here.
This part has, also, been done with 1.2, which we have successfully put
into production due to managerial decisions in our University. It works
like charm, except some glitches that Juan C. has patched. To get this
functionallity we have done the following changes and additions:

+ To the list object:
	- Added 'preferred_language' attribute, for the list default
		language
	- Added 'language' dictionary with the users' preferred language,
		the user mailaddress is the key to get the language she
		has set for the list.
	- Added the neccesary methods for setting and getting these.
	- Added a method for listing the available languages for the list.

+ Created functions in Utilites for:
	- Getting the server available languages.
	- Getting the language descriptions.
	- Getting the language charset.

+ HTML formatting.
	- Add the necesary code for generating selects.

+ Default.py
	- Some Barry Warsaw, decided to put the common code for language
		initialization at the bottom of this module.

+ Showering all over the code.
	- Added the necesary changes for language selection.

+ Storage.
	- Creating directories for holding language specific files in
		every list.
	- Creating directory hierarchy for catalogs and templates.

+ Support scripts.
	- newlang, to add languages to a list.
	- rmlang, opposite of above.

+ gettext.py
	- Modify to addapt to our requirements. (Changes sent to author).

As you can see this is a surgeon's task. This part must be carefully done
by a very reduced team ( = JCR+VG :)

This has already been done, so our intention is to read the new code and
locate the places to make the changes.

> A third piece is all the translations (i.e. po and mo files).  We can
> use the GNU Translation project to help here, once we've generated the
> .pot files.
We have a good team of volunteers for some languages, which have already
done translations of the .po files for 1.2 into danish, english, german,
italian, spanish and mostly czec. Some others have shown interest in
languages as gallician, basque, japanesse, brazilian/portuguesse and
dutch. We think this could proceed in parallel with the second piece, of
course, it cannot start before we have done the first piece.

------------------------
Enclosed list of volunteers up to this date:
felix.sanchez@cica.es	Félix Sánchez
omar@dit.upm.es 	Omar Walid Llorente
EricdeHont@netscape.net	Eric de Hont

Contributors: