[Mailman-i18n] Internationalized Mailman

Victoriano Giralt vic@vgg.sci.uma.es
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:06:42 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay, but I've been learning new tricks (a difficult task
for an old dog, you know :).

The proposed road has already been taken using standard GNU tools, and we
have arrived at a nice destination: a working internationalized version of
Mailman 1.2 that we have had to put into production for political reasons.

Barry Warsaw has given us homework to do so we can get a 2.1
internationalized Mailman as soon as 2.0 is out. We are slowly starting to
do them, so any help would be very much appreciated.

I think we should coordinate the efforts to avoid reinventing the wheel.

Comments anyone? (Barry?)

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 10:01:29AM +0200, Oliver Gassner wrote:
> Your  (Alain Schroeder <alain@mini.gt.owl.de>) mail on Wed, 4 Oct
> 2000 19:46:47 +0200:
>
> >I will start tomorrow to translate mailman into German...
>
> Several people have...

I haven´t seen anything on the archives of this list...

> I just am not iup2datre: _Is_ there a working version of mailman
> that supports _real_ internationalis8tion.

Haven´t seen any.

> So you don't have to start from scratch when the new version
> comes out?
>
> (I am not a techie ;) )

<aol>Me too!</aol>

Well at the moment I try to understand python a bit... <fg>

If I ever understand Python then I will write a little function like
this:

get_i18n(file, "digest_and_memb_not_from_stdin", "Sorry, can't read both
digest *and* normal members from stdin.")

Well then of course we need something like a po file. I do not know how
.po files are structured, but I would just use a normal ASCII file,
because I do not want to write a UTF8/UTF16/UTF32 converter.

And then there is also the question, if you can use UTF with your
console, etc. But upgrading from my proposed version to UTF should be
relativly easy. A new function and a script to convert the already
existant file into a UTF file.

--
Victoriano Giralt
Systems Programmer