[Mailman-Developers] Small contrib script

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Sat Jan 6 17:51:52 EST 2018

On Fri, 2018-01-05 at 20:05 -0800, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> On 01/05/2018 12:21 AM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> >

> > In what form and fashion should I submit this contribution, which
> > consists of about 3 files. I can put these in a tarball and attach
> > them, attach them seprately, put them on my public server and post the
> > URL to this list, or upload them, whatever's appropriate. This is a
> > small package, less than 3K.
>
> The ideal way is to register at launchpad, get a copy of the branch at
> <https://code.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1>, make your
> additions, push that to a branch in your account and create a merge
> proposal, but if that seems too complex, you can send me a tarball off list.

This isn't too complex, and I'm almost there, but I haven't worked with
version control since I was working with cvs some years ago (showing my
age, I guess) so bzr is new to me.

I've made a local copy of the MM 2.1 source tree using 'bzr branch
lp:mailman/2.1" and made appropriate revisions to it incorporating my
mailman-config.py into the contrib directory of the source tree and
modifying configure and configure.in to do the proper substitutions for
the working copy that's generated in build/contrib at build time.

I'm a bit at sea on the last two parts of your instruction. How do I
properly push my branch back to my launchpad account? Do I create a
PPA?

How do I create a merge proposal?

This isn't, as they say, rocket science, and I've been a Linux system
administrator for close to 20 years, so if I know what I'm doing I can
easily handle it, but a few tips from you folks will save me a bunch of
research. I don't want to go mucking around on a community resource
without knowing what I'm doing :)

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "The first casualty when
FMP Computer Services |         war comes is truth."