[Mailman-Developers] ARC PR for Mailman 3

Gene Shuman geneshuman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 18:44:54 EST 2017

Hello all,

Over the past few months I've developed an patch for Mailman 3,
<https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/merge_requests/252> giving it ARC
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dmarc-arc-protocol-09> email
authentication capabilities.  The work is (99%)completed, and it just needs
somebody to do a final review of the ARC functionality itself so I can
implement any requested changes.

I had been working with Barry Warsaw, who had done a preliminary stylistic
review, and subsequently, I've eliminated all raised issues.  The branch is
rebased as of last week, and passes all of qa, except one instance, which
is something I'd like to discuss with somebody.(It fails a style test for
line lengths in a test file which contains a bunch of cryptographic hashes)
. Aside from that all qa pipelines pass.

Also, there is a decent amount of included documentation, but it could
still use a bit more work.  I'm planing on doing right before the branch is
merged, and maybe with some additional guidance of the community.

So, in communicating with Barry, it seems he doesn't have the time to
continue working on this with me.  So, I'm reaching out to see if there is
anybody with the interest and availability to review the PR.  It's not
particularly complex, and just introduces 2 new handlers into the
pipeline.

Thanks & Regards,
=Gene Shuman

PS.  The PR uses a library dkimpy with code that I wrote which passes the
ARC reference test suite(which I also wrote) 100%.  So all of the
cryptographic signing & validating in the PR validates against the current
rfc of the protocol.  So the crypto can be largely ignored.  However you
can easily test this functionality by sending ARC signed messages to say
gmail, which does ARC validation, & looking at the headers.