[Mailman-Developers] Multiple REST servers

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed May 24 00:47:45 EDT 2017

On May 19, 2017, at 07:59 PM, Aurelien Bompard wrote:

>> Have you done any other analysis on where the bottlenecks are?  Is it CPU,
>> db, I/O?
>
>I haven't investigated properly but it seems to be the database (which
>is on another host).

That's interesting because most of that runs through SQLAlchemy.  I wonder if
it's a general problem with the way we integrate with that, or if there are
specific queries that are inefficient.  I have no doubt there's room for
improvement on the latter, but we'd have to do the instrumentation to find
out.

>Interesting. I wonder if we can have SQLAlchemy play well with
>asyncio, I haven't tried that before.

Me neither!  asyncio is pretty new, so we're seeing lots of efforts to
async-ify more parts of the ecosystem.  I don't know whether the SA folks are
looking into that at all.  A general search shows some interesting projects
and discussions on the topic.

>There is still a gunicorn.py file in the contrib directory, but I
>haven't tested it either.

I tried to get it to work but had problems.  I'm really interested in seeing
if we can leverage uvloop for improved performance.