[Mailman-Developers] Recent changes in HyperKitty

Aurelien Bompard aurelien at bompard.org
Fri May 19 13:51:52 EDT 2017

Hey folks!

I thought I'd keep you posted on a rather big change that landed in
HyperKitty a couple weeks ago. It will be useful for those of you who
run the master branch. If you updated and HyperKitty started requiring
Redis or not updating some parts of the UI, that may be the reason.

I have added support for asychronous tasks. They bring a huge
performance boost but they need an additional step in the setup. The
relevant part of the documentation is:
http://hyperkitty.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install.html#asynchronous-tasks

There are two changes to the setup:

First, the configuration must be updated, there's one more line in the
INSTALLED_APPS and there an additional variable that must be defined
if you don't want to depend on Redis. Here's the diff proposed in the
example project directory:
https://gitlab.com/mailman/hyperkitty/commit/681170c6986b7bf3a2731845196f9393ea0c8e84#8e136c7b1cda5d4f447a88940dbacf003e1aa32f.
If you do this change (and run the django migrate command), you don't
need to install Redis. The task queue will be in Django's own
database.

Secondly, there is an additional command to run in the background:
    django-admin qcluster --pythonpath /path/to/project --settings settings
or:
    /path/to/project/manage.py qcluster
depending on how you choose to run Django commands

This command will start the workers that will process the work queue.
The work queue is (for now) mainly about updating the cache, that's
why you may see those weird inconstitancies in the UI.

Sorry for not communicating about this earlier.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Aurélien