[Mailman-Developers] Mailman Sprint happening NOW at PyCon 2016 Canada

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 19:19:17 EST 2016

On 14 November 2016 at 15:52, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2016, at 12:17 AM, Simon Hanna wrote:
>
> >I went ahead and tagged a couple of issues from Postorius and
> mailmanclient
> >with the milestone.  They are all user facing and I think would result in
> >lot of new issues, if they are not addresses before.
>
> Thanks Simon.
>
> >I guess you need to somehow create a milestone in hyperkitty itself.
>
> Yep.  I just created the 3.1 milestone.  Can you see if you can assign
> issues
> to that milestone?
>
> >I'm not using it and I guess I won't be in the future.  I'm using a git
> >repository for my configuration that can be found here
> >https://gitlab.com/thelinuxguy/mailman-suite along with a local branch
> that
> >holds all my deployment specific changes.  I still don't really understand
> >what bundler does, and I always have to look through all the directories
> >try and find the file that I want to edit.
>
> I'm not sure how useful bundler is either.  I don't think Mark used it
> when he
> deployed MM3 on python.org.  Container-based solutions seem like the
> better
> option, and I think we could support multiple container formats without
> much
> trouble (although, it would be good to have some CI around them).

Containers does makes things very easy but I am not sure how much
comfortable people are with containers running in production for long
periods of time, unattended. Dockers seems to be still tinkering with the
public facing APIs and breaking compatibilities across versions of clients
and server (which itself is another issue due to security).  Other
solutions like rkt and others are still not very mature and would mean a
lot of deployment errors and bugs. However, we can have them as an *option*
for deployments along with os specific packages.

I'd be willing to help with build automation and maintain containers for
all the sub projects. Although, I won't be able to spare a lot of time in
next 15 days as I have a paper deadline coming in very soon.

> Cheers,
> -Barry
> developers/raj.abhilash1%40gmail.com

thanks,