[Mailman-Developers] Correcting the display name in the recipient address

Aditya Divekar adityadivekar03 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 08:28:38 EDT 2016

Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:

> BTW I made a few more comments on your proposal (after you
> finalized).  I'm told you are allowed to revise the final copy until
> the deadline, it's just that we can't see it until then.  I think it's
> basically in good shape.

Yes, I checked the comments. Thanks a lot for the input! I had gotten a bit
worked-up about the possible server issue and so uploaded a copy earlier.
I revised the proposal according to your recent comments and re-uploaded it
now. Also, I've replied to a couple of the comments. Specifically, I was
not able to understand your comment in the testing section, which can be
discussed if time permits :)

If by "implicit" you mean "automatic, default", yes, but IMHO there
> should be a distinction between "None" and "InheritFromUser".  That
> will make it easier to "fix" in the future if it turns out that there
> are more than a very few people who feel more strongly than me and
> Mark.
>

> A perhaps more convincing example would be an extension to anonymous
> lists with personal reply-to.  This could be accomplished by creating
> a mailbox at the list host, which would be associated with the user so
> she can set options for it (eg, which address to forward to), but
> should not have a display name associated with it, and certainly not
> the user-level display name (which in organizational contexts --
> including Python! -- is likely to be a real name).

Actually, the code has already been merged for the above mentioned
automatic fallback on the user display name. So I'm not really sure about
the next step in this issue, and think that Barry would be better qualified
to give an opinion here than me.

> Also, in documentation please always write "the user's display name".
> "User name" has a strong connotation of "account identifier", and so
> could be quite confusing (especially since we don't have a user name
> separate from email addresses!)

Yes, it was a slip while typing the email. The docs are okay :)

Thanks.

Aditya