[Mailman-Developers] Correcting the display name in the recipient address

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Mar 24 14:44:42 EDT 2016

BTW I made a few more comments on your proposal (after you
finalized).  I'm told you are allowed to revise the final copy until
the deadline, it's just that we can't see it until then.  I think it's
basically in good shape.

Aditya Divekar writes:

 > So according to what I've gathered from the conversation, the fall
 > back on the user name can be made implicit.

If by "implicit" you mean "automatic, default", yes, but IMHO there
should be a distinction between "None" and "InheritFromUser".  That
will make it easier to "fix" in the future if it turns out that there
are more than a very few people who feel more strongly than me and
Mark.

A perhaps more convincing example would be an extension to anonymous
lists with personal reply-to.  This could be accomplished by creating
a mailbox at the list host, which would be associated with the user so
she can set options for it (eg, which address to forward to), but
should not have a display name associated with it, and certainly not
the user-level display name (which in organizational contexts --
including Python! -- is likely to be a real name).

Also, in documentation please always write "the user's display name".
"User name" has a strong connotation of "account identifier", and so
could be quite confusing (especially since we don't have a user name
separate from email addresses!)

Steve