[Mailman-Developers] Correcting the display name in the recipient address

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Mon Mar 21 00:21:25 EDT 2016

On Mar 20, 2016, at 08:15 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>I wonder if we aren't over thinking here. Maybe I didn't associate a
>display name with my user record and my alternate address on purpose for
>my own reasons. Maybe when I subscribe my alternate address to some
>list, I do it because I don't want my preferred address or its display
>name associated with this subscription.
>
>I'm not sure we should be mining the data for things that the user may
>have intentionally not provided.

That's an interesting point, thanks.

The intention in the model is that the user's display name can be used as a
fallback for any linked address that has no display name.  So I still think it
makes sense that if an address with no display name is subscribed and the user
record it's linked to does have a display name, we should use that.  But if it
doesn't, then we don't go hunting around ("mining") for something else to use,
especially on a record that's not directly subscribed to the mailing list.

Cheers,