[Mailman-Developers] Correcting the display name in the recipient address

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Mar 20 23:15:57 EDT 2016

On 03/20/2016 06:55 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2016, at 11:27 PM, Aditya Divekar wrote:
>
>> Suppose you have a user with two linked addresses, one of which is the
>> preferred address. Only the preferred address has a display name, and the
>> user does not. Now in the scenario where the other linked address(not the
>> preferred one) is subscribed to a mailing list without providing a display
>> name, it would be natural to check if the user has a display name, and use
>> that if it exists. But the user too does not have a display name in this
>> case. In such a case should we perform a further check and try to use the
>> preferred address's display name if it exists or simply use an empty string
>> instead?

I wonder if we aren't over thinking here. Maybe I didn't associate a
display name with my user record and my alternate address on purpose for
my own reasons. Maybe when I subscribe my alternate address to some
list, I do it because I don't want my preferred address or its display
name associated with this subscription.

I'm not sure we should be mining the data for things that the user may
have intentionally not provided.