[Mailman-Developers] Advice needed on Production MM3 install

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Mar 16 10:21:34 EDT 2016

On Mar 15, 2016, at 10:35 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>The first question is should it be mailman-users at mailman3.org or
>mailman-users at mailman3.org.

That's mailman3-users at mailman3.org or mailman-users at mailman3.org.

The main question I have is, will mailman-users at mailman3.org be easily
confused with mailman-users at python.org?  While I think it's fine to
(eventually) have Mailman 3 questions on the latter, we don't want Mailman 2.1
questions on the former.

>In the process of working through some other issues, I enabled SSL in Django
>with certificates I got from Let's Encrypt. That has led to a current issue
>which is if a list's archiving is on, I can't post. The post gets shunted in
>archiving because somewhere in the process the runner tries to make an SSL
>connection to 127.0.0.1 and the certificate is only valid for
>lists.mailman3.org, mirror.list.org and mirror.mailman3.org[2]. I'm sure
>there must be a way to change the connect to use lists.mailman3.org, but I
>don't know it.

I thik you're saying the Hyperkitty archiver plugin is crashing because it's
trying to make an SSL connection to Hyperkitty via localhost (127.0.0.1).  I
don't know whether it's possible to run the public HK IP over SSL (a good
thing) and the localhost posting endpoint over http, but it probably doesn't
provide much value to connect the core archiver plugin with HK over https
localhost.

Looking at the HK traceback, I think there are a couple of bugs.  The HK
plugin should probably be defensive about connection errors that don't allow
the request to go through, but I also think the core should be defensive about
crashes in list_url().  It didn't occur to me that asking the archivers for
their list_urls would be an active request that could fail so the crash
percolates up to the pipeline runner and thus you get the shunt.  Should be an
easy fix, though I want to audit the IArchiver calls in the core for other
cases where this can happen.

I'll file bugs on both projects for this.

Cheers,