[Mailman-Developers] Advice needed on Production MM3 install

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Wed Mar 16 08:38:51 EDT 2016

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 10:35:55PM -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> The first question is should it be mailman-users at mailman3.org or
> mailman-users at mailman3.org. The former is more of a recognition that
> Mailman 3 is now Mailman while the latter offers less possibility for
> confusion with mailman-users at python.org.

I'm guessing you meant mailman-users@ vs mailman3-users at .

For those that look at the address they're sending to, there's already
mailman3 in the domain, so I'd say adding a number is probably
superflous (although could be a belt and braces approach).

> Then, I suppose it could be
> just users at mailman3.org, but we might want to support other 'users'
> lists in the future.

Unless I'm really misremembering, MM3 isn't so fussy about unique
localparts/listnames; so other users lists in the future might be on
separate (sub)domains.

Generally speaking, though, my preference is to include the project
name; not only does it make autocomplete easier, but in composing a
new message I'm more likely to send it to the right place.

My preference would be:

    mailman-users at mailman3.org  // plural
    mailman-dev at mailman3.org    // singular, relates to project not individuals
    mailman-foo at mailman3        // other lists

which is pretty much the approach I've used with a bunch of other
projects and lists.

--
The computer is only a tool. Unfortunately, so is the user.