[Mailman-Developers] Discussion On Project Idea "Preset List Settings Templates" .

Harshit Bansal harshitbansal2015 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 12:21:33 EST 2016

Hi,
As per previous discussions, it would be nice to support style
hierarchies such that the list owners can compose them and defer
settings to values higher up, that would allow the core to define some
basic styles and then list owners can just tweak a few settings to
modify one of those base styles but in this case should the changes in
base-styles be propagated to all the styles that inherit it or not.
If we allow the propagation of changes to inheriting styles, some list
owners might be uncomfortable with this feature as then if any of the
base-style changes their inheriting styles will change without any
kind of prior notification.

>> In the back-end, we will be using tables for storing style attributes
>> and permission level(read only or editable). This table will basically
>> contain all the "stylable" attributes with "default or predefined"
>> values as contained in the mailing list table and one extra column for
>> permissions.

I think the "Permissions Systems" would have nothing to do with the
core. It would be related to Postorius. We will have to create a style
model separately in Postorius which would store the style name and the
user who created it. Then only the user who has created the style
would be granted the permission to edit it.

>From UI point of view, there is one more feature that comes to my mind:
When the users are presented with an interface to customize the style,
we could provide them with two views, one 'simple' and another
'advanced'. The 'simple' one would show only the *frequently* (or most
commonly) changed attributes while the 'advanced' one will show all
the attributes. This will help them in customizing the styles.
I would like to hear some of your comments on it as well.

Thanks,
Harshit Bansal.