[Mailman-Developers] Mailman-bundler installation

Simon Hanna simon.hanna at serve-me.info
Mon Mar 7 21:43:18 EST 2016

On 03/08/2016 03:35 AM, Aditya Divekar wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently reinstalled my OS, ubuntu 14.04 , and was trying to get the
> development server for mailman running. (I had mailman running in my
> previous OS setup, but I had to reinstall my OS due to some python issues)
You generally don't want to reinstall an os. You should fix it. OTOH I'm using archlinux, so it
might just be arch talking :D
> For this I was following the mailman-bundler documentation. After
Do you want to participate in development? Then _don't_ use mailman-bundler.
Mailman-bundler is for production setups and to just try it out.
Refer to the documentation of the projects on readthedocs.org on how to get dev setups running.
> activating the python2.7 virtual environment, when I give the command to
> start mailman, I get an error.
> (venv) aditya at aditya:~/mailman-server/mailman-bundler$ sudo
> ./bin/mailman-web-django-admin runserver &
> [1] 3299
_Never_ ever run this using sudo !!!!
You should only use sudo to do administrative tasks on your pc. Do not run any program that throws
errors using sudo. That might actually brick your pc and in the end require a reinstallation
> (venv) aditya at aditya:~/mailman-server/mailman-bundler$ INFO Generating
> grammar tables from /usr/lib/python2.7/lib2to3/Grammar.txt
> INFO Generating grammar tables from
> /usr/lib/python2.7/lib2to3/PatternGrammar.txt
> INFO Generating grammar tables from /usr/lib/python2.7/lib2to3/Grammar.txt
> INFO Generating grammar tables from
> /usr/lib/python2.7/lib2to3/PatternGrammar.txt
> Performing system checks...
>
> System check identified no issues (0 silenced).
> March 07, 2016 - 20:43:38
> Django version 1.8.11, using settings 'mailman_web.development'
> Starting development server at http://127.0.0.1:8000/
> Quit the server with CONTROL-C.
> /home/aditya/mailman-server/mailman-bundler/mailman_web/urls.py:7:
> RemovedInDjango19Warning: Default value of 'RedirectView.permanent' will
> change from True to False in Django 1.9. Set an explicit value to silence
> this warning.
>   url(r'^$',
> RedirectView.as_view(url=reverse_lazy('hyperkitty.views.index.index'))),
>
> WARNING /home/aditya/mailman-server/mailman-bundler/mailman_web/urls.py:7:
> RemovedInDjango19Warning: Default value of 'RedirectView.permanent' will
> change from True to False in Django 1.9. Set an explicit value to silence
> this warning.
>   url(r'^$',
> RedirectView.as_view(url=reverse_lazy('hyperkitty.views.index.index'))),
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/wsgiref/handlers.py", line 85, in run
>     self.result = application(self.environ, self.start_response)
>   File
> "/home/aditya/mailman-server/mailman-bundler/eggs/Django-1.8.11-py2.7.egg/django/contrib/staticfiles/handlers.py",
> line 63, in __call__
>     return self.application(environ, start_response)
>   File
> "/home/aditya/mailman-server/mailman-bundler/eggs/Django-1.8.11-py2.7.egg/django/core/handlers/wsgi.py",
> line 170, in __call__
>     self.load_middleware()
>   File
> "/home/aditya/mailman-server/mailman-bundler/eggs/Django-1.8.11-py2.7.egg/django/core/handlers/base.py",
> line 50, in load_middleware
>     mw_class = import_string(middleware_path)
>   File
> "/home/aditya/mailman-server/mailman-bundler/eggs/Django-1.8.11-py2.7.egg/django/utils/module_loading.py",
> line 26, in import_string
>     module = import_module(module_path)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/importlib/__init__.py", line 37, in import_module
>     __import__(name)
> ImportError: No module named middleware
>

> I tried checking for the solution online, but couldn't find a fix. I
> reinstalled django twice to ensure that the installation was thorough, and
> that all the libraries were installed.
> Has anyone faced this issue?
There is an issue over at postorius regarding this
https://gitlab.com/mailman/postorius/issues/107
You will have to manually fix it.
> Note - I am currently running django 1.9.4 in both python3 and python2.7,
> and have installed django 1.8.11 in the 'venv' virtual environment.
postorius and hyperkitty are currently python2 projects. So python3 will most probably not work at all