[Mailman-Developers] Dropping Persona

Adam McGreggor adam-mailman at amyl.org.uk
Fri Jan 29 08:45:09 EST 2016

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 12:56:32PM +0100, Simon Hanna wrote:
> Mozilla is dropping Persona and shutting it down later this year [1].
>
> Postorius and Hyperkitty will have to drop it, and use something else as a default login mechanism.
>
> I propose using the django authentication system by default and making it easy for people to add
> other authentication methods.

I think this makes sense. Reinventing the wheel is often quite
wasteful, especially when there are decent existing solutions
available already.

> django-user-accounts [2]
> It's part of the pinax platform, but can be used independently of the other components. It comes
> with everything we need and not much more. Note that the profiles of django-user-accounts can
> contain additional emails, which we probably don't want.

I can think of several use-cases where managing multiple email
addresses in the same place could be exceptionally useful and a good
win for UX.

--
"Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if
 they forget what it was to be young"