[Mailman-Developers] Dropping Persona

Simon Hanna simon.hanna at serve-me.info
Fri Jan 29 06:56:32 EST 2016

Hi,

Mozilla is dropping Persona and shutting it down later this year [1].

Postorius and Hyperkitty will have to drop it, and use something else as a default login mechanism.

I propose using the django authentication system by default and making it easy for people to add
other authentication methods.

If we go with django authentication we can either build everything ourselves (I did it for a couple
of projects myself) or use some provided project. This is because django doesn't offer registration
views and email confirmation. Also password changing and password resetting will have to be added.

I know of two projects that do that already:

django-user-accounts [2]
It's part of the pinax platform, but can be used independently of the other components. It comes
with everything we need and not much more. Note that the profiles of django-user-accounts can
contain additional emails, which we probably don't want. It's officially supporting django 1.8 and
1.9. I'm not sure about our django dependency policy but since upstream has marked all pre 1.8 as
being out of date, I think that we can move on as well...

django-userena [3]
Pretty much the same as django-user-accounts but it has additional "features" like messaging which
we definitely don't need. It's not yet django 1.9 compatible but there is a merge request that adds
support for it.

Since we have two projects to maintain, I'd rather go with an external app. I guess it would be
easiest to have exactly the same configurations for Postorius and Hyperkitty. In order to not
duplicate any templates and other code, I'd propose to create a third project that has all the
account functionality and put everything we need in there.
In case we go with doing everything ourselves, I guess it's still better to create a separate app
for that.

My personal favorite is django-user-accounts for which I have some basic functionality in a merge
request for Postorius so you can have a look at what needs to be changed. [4]

Regardless of what approach we choose, we should also think of migrations.
Existing internal django accounts can be easily migrated. We'll have to choose if we want to migrate
the "social" accounts as well or just tell people to sign up again.

We still have time for the transition, but I'd prefer dropping persona before the 3.1 release if
that happens to come before the shutdown.

What do you think?

Simon

[1]: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Identity/Persona_Shutdown_Guidelines_for_Reliers
[2]: https://github.com/pinax/django-user-accounts