[Mailman-Developers] an impossible need to address ?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jan 22 00:51:46 EST 2016

On 01/21/2016 01:47 AM, JFC Morfin wrote:

> It means
> a way (1) to set-up scores of same style mailing lists and (2) for a
> person being a member of my directory to easiliy select the lists she
> wants to attend or quit.

Just to add a bit to what Terri and Steve have already said.

For MM 2.1, for (1) you can setup a list in the style you want, export
its config with Mailman's bin/config_list, delete a few list specific
things from that output like real_name, owner and subject_prefix, and
then for a new list, create it with bin/newlist and update the config
with bin/config_list with the prior style as input.

for (2) if you can export from your directory a flat file of

Display Name <email at example.com>

entries that represent who should be on a list, then you can use
bin/sync_members to sync the list membership with that file.

I do that for the 'all members announce list' for my bike club. A cron
runs nightly to export the member list from the member database and then
runs sync_members to update the list membership. This could be done for
any number of lists if you have a way to create the desired membership
list for each list.