[Mailman-Developers] Discussion On Project Idea "Preset List Settings Templates" .

Harshit Bansal harshitbansal2015 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 12:22:36 EST 2016

Hi everybody,
I was looking at GSOC 2016 wiki page and I found "Preset List Settings
Templates" project quite interesting.

After reading out the project description and the discussion on the
project from the mail archives I have been able to reach out the
following conclusion :
I will be required to develop a Web Interface that will allow the
admins to set the different attributes to the different mailing lists
using some fixed templates(also known as styles). Not only this they
will be able to define their own styles and use them. This will serve
as our front-end.

In the back-end, we will be using tables for storing style attributes
and permission level(read only or editable). This table will basically
contain all the "stylable" attributes with "default or predefined"
values as contained in the mailing list table and one extra column for
permissions.
There will also be some back-end python code whose key function would
be to read the attribute values from the styles table and when the
user applies a style on a mailing list it will copy the attribute
values from the style table to that particular mailing list's table.

Please do correct me if I am wrong somewhere. Also,I wish to seek your
views on this approach.

Also tell me if I would need to develop a Command Line Interface(which
I will love to develop) as well or only Web Interface would suffice?

Thanks,
Harshit Bansal.