[Mailman-Developers] Newbie to the "Mailman"

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Jan 16 18:48:06 EST 2016

Ankush Khandelwal writes:

 >        I am an undergraduate student pursuing Computer Science from IIIT
 > Hyderabad ( India ), currently in 3rd year and I'm newbie to this
 > organization. I am familiar with python and Git. Can somebody tell
 > me about the bugs which I can solve so that I can start
 > contributing.

Any of the ones listed at https://gitlab.com/mailman/mailman/issues/?

That's a joke, of course, but unfortunately the list if you select
label "beginner-friendly" is rather sparse (currently 1 issue is
listed).  So at this point nobody really has a handle on this.

One *really* useful task you could do is go through a handful of
issues (say 10-25) and label the ones you think you *could* do as
"beginner-friendly" (and grab any you *like* by adding a comment that
you're working on them :-).  Then post the list of issues you
evaluated (with the results) so somebody can (a) check your
evaluations for you, (b) we get a better idea of what new developers
*think* they can do (as opposed to our idea of what we think they
should be able to do), and (c) change any that are actually far deeper
than they look.

Such "triage"[1] is a more or less neglected task for all the projects
I know of.  Of course coding is more fun, but (at least at Mailman's
current state of 1 open "beginner-friendly" issue) triage is more
productive.

Steve

Footnotes:
[1]  https://docs.python.org/devguide/triaging.html  This page is for
Python, but the basic principles apply to any project.