[Mailman-Developers] ARC module implementation [was: GSOC 2016]

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Feb 14 02:31:24 EST 2016

Aditya Divekar writes:

 > According to the draft, here
 > <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-andersen-arc-00#section-5.2>,
 > the ARC-Seal header is constructed from the referenced message
 > signatures given by the "k" tag.  I didn't understand this part
 > clearly.

The "k" tag has been removed from the most recent version 02
(2016/02/08).  Note: although I-Ds expire automatically after 6
months, they can be superseded by new versions at any time.  Always
check for a more recent version.  The tools.ietf.org site is very nice
because you can also get diffs to see what you missed (note that many
URLs reference less fancy archives, so if you bookmark one of those
it's useful to edit it to refer to a full-service site such as tools).

 > Do we need to specify the headers (i.e. the ARC-Message signature
 > and ARC-authentication results) that we want to seal in the "k" tag
 > just how we would use the "h" tag in the DKIM signature?

Earlier drafts of the I-D were more than a little confusing here.  I
think it's much better now, but feel free to ask questions.  The
fields added by a particular mediator will be linked by the "i" tag,
see I-D sec. 5.1.1.1.1, 5.1.2.2.3, and 5.1.3.1.

Also, ARC signatures use the "h" tag in the same way as DKIM, except
that the requirements for exactly which headers are are different.
(This is intended to ensure that ARC headers, which by definition are
*not* authorized by the sending domain, are not mistakenly used as
DKIM signatures, which by definition *are* authorized by the sending
domain.  I'm not sure whether this makes sense, but OTOH I don't see
how it can hurt.)  Exactly which headers are signed in an ARC-Seal are
fully specified by the protocol.

 > (The usage of the "k" tag isn't clear to me.)

Mostly the protocol syntax and semantics of ARC are specified in RFC
6376 (see section 5.4 of the I-D).  Selectors are defined in section
3.1.  In the I-D, only the new ARC-Seal field is described in full.
ARC-Message-Signature and ARC-Authentication-Results are described in
terms of differences from the normative RFCs (RFC 6376 for signatures
and RFC 7601 for authentication results).

By the way, top-posting (especially without trimming) should be
avoided in technical discussion.  See
http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/Teach/ESES/socsys-1.html for the
technical advantages and disadvantages of top-posting and interlinear
styles.  Also, note that in mature projects (and specifically Mailman
and Python) most of the senior developers will be old enough to have
been trained in and developed a preference for interlinear posting,
and especially trimming.  Nowadays untrimmed top-posts are hard to
avoid so people are building up tolerance for them, but you can make
friends by taking care with your posting style.

Steve