[Mailman-Developers] Mozilla funding opportunity for Mailman work

Abhilash Raj raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 03:01:53 EDT 2015

On 10/27/2015 09:30 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Barry Warsaw writes:
>
>  > What would *we* like to do that we can't do because of resources?
>
> That's where I'm blocked.  I can't honestly put myself up as a
> money-sink: I wouldn't mind getting paid for my effort, but I wouldn't
> put in any less effort just because I'm unpaid. ;-)
>
> Hm ... maybe generalizing Andrew's authn/authz stuff?  Mozilla would
> probably like improved Persona support?  Andrew would be good for that
> and ISTR he's a freelancer.
>
> I wouldn't mind compensating a student even if she/he would do the
> work for free anyway.  But except for Abhilash, I can't recommend any
> recent student for a project I think is valuable enough to request
> such resources without at the same time volunteering to mentor
> intensively.  Not enough experience, and the project I have in mind is
> not an extension of any GSoC project.  And I can't really volunteer at
> this point.
>
> As for Abhilash himself, I think he should concentrate on his graduate
> studies.  There's no problem with him volunteering the occasional
> half-day to Mailman, but I've seen far too many students seriously
> hindered in getting the most out of their graduate study by committing
> to consulting work.  I won't oppose him if he wants to do something,
> but I won't nominate him.

I doubt I would be able to actually do a contract work at all, even if I
wanted to, due to F-1 Visa regulations. Not for next 8 months at least.
And I have too much in my plate right now, grad school keep me busy! But
I can spend some time to mentor/help someone else as a volunteer for
whichever project we choose.

  (@Abhilash: If you decide to apply against
> my advice, it's just advice.  I'll be happy to support you to the
> extent I can in your Mailman work or your graduate study, whatever you
> want to do -- though I suspect I'd be useless in the latter role. ;-)

(off the topic: Prof, I would like to talk to you sometime for some
advice about studies :)

> If somebody else is willing to mentor *my* suggestions: there are a
> couple of new proposals for DMARC mitigation out there.  I would be
> willing to evaluate them (in the remaining hours) for use in Mailman.
> Why "evaluate"?  As most of you probably know, message signing and
> signature validation are normally considered MTA functions, and
> Mailman needn't/shouldn't try to duplicate that functionality.
> However, with experimental protocols, of course they won't be in
> production MTAs for a while, so it *might* be worthwhile to offer
> support in Mailman as a spur/temporary workaround while the MTAs
> implement the new protocols.

Again off the topic: I recently came to know (from my Advisor) that my
implementation of Digital signatures in mailman can be improved by
implementing algorithms where the server does not actually decrypts the
email, just transforms it so that the recipients can decrypt that. I
don't have the details, but I am gonna explore more in that front soon.