[Mailman-Developers] Installation of Mailman

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Mar 6 18:31:14 CET 2015

On 03/06/2015 08:08 AM, Prudhvee Narasimha Sadha wrote:
> Hi,
>        I started working for mailman. As a first step I downloaded the
> source code of mailman2.1.19.

If you're doing this for a GSoC Project, you should be working with
Mailman 3, not Mailman 2.1.

> When I'm trying ./configure, it is
> showing the following error.
>
> checking that Python has a working distutils... configure: error:
>
> ***** Distutils is not available or is incomplete for /usr/bin/python
> ***** If you installed Python from RPM (or other package manager)
> ***** be sure to install the -devel package, or install Python
> ***** from source.  See sec. 15.1 of the Installation Manual for
> ***** details
>

> I installed Distutils, but still it is showing the error

what happens if you do

$ python

>>> import distutils.errors
>>> import distutils.sysconfig
>>> x = distutils.sysconfig.get_config_vars()

> and when I try the command
>
> % useradd -c’’GNU Mailman’’ -s /no/shell -d /no/home -g mailman mailman

This is an error in the manual, now fixed in the online versions. The
command should be

useradd -c"GNU Mailman" -s /no/shell -d /no/home -g mailman mailman