[Mailman-Developers] Ideas for injecting test messages

Sumana Harihareswara sumanah at panix.com
Wed Feb 25 15:28:11 CET 2015

I think that, given that Andrew's been working a LOT on Mailman, and
is implementing a bunch of stuff, and that this is basically the only
time Andrew's accidentally asked a question he could have answered
with a bit more research, Andrew is using the list properly. I've only
been on mailman-developers for a couple of months, but I've been in
open source for several years, and this kind of usage feels totally
reasonable for an open source project mailing list -- especially one
where we nearly never see each other in person and the major
developers are spread from South Asia across Europe and the American
timezones (making IRC less useful), and given the April release date
we're pushing towards.

In my opinion it's okay to put each substantial question in a
different email thread -- that makes subject lines easier to skim.

- -Sumana Harihareswara

On 02/25/2015 09:11 AM, Andrew Stuart wrote:
> Perhaps. I’m working close to full time on programming with Mailman
> and questions do come up.  I’ve had no previous experience of
> Mailman and for the most part I feel do all my own research and
> problem resolution.  I dig deep into the source and generally I
> think I ask questions when I’ve got to the bottom of the source
> code and still can’t understand why something is working in the way
> it does.
>
> I know I’m more active on the list at the moment than anyone else.
> However, this is the only case that I’m aware of that I’ve asked a
> question that some research on Google could have answered.
>
> If you’d like less activity that’s OK I’ll take that on board.
> This however is likely to be the outcome of Mailman 3 coming to
> completion with interfaces that others programmers can work with-
> active development along with lots of questions. The whole Mailman
> community is likely to become more noisy if you have succeeded in
> your goal of building something valuable, which I think is true.
>
> I’ll take feedback from anyone on this - I don’t mind hearing what
> people think.  If you feel like you’d like the list to be less
> active from me that’s fine - if you think my questions lack
> research and effort that’s OK too.  Just let me know.
>
> as
>

> On 25 Feb 2015, at 10:18 pm, Abhilash Raj <raj.abhilash1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> I am not sure how do I put this, but I think you should spend
> little more time investigating about the questions you send in to
> this list. Questions and answers seperated by a 3 hour window makes
> me feel like its not even a question, but a personel log. I agree
> mailman-devs can answer your queries more quickly, but if you can
> find answers from documentation then there is no point in sending
> in these queries. It would be easier if you collated your queries
> and send-in one email in a day or two?
>
> Also, I really appriciate the authentication proxy that you are
> trying to build for mailman, please don't take this as any form of
> discouragement. These are my personel thoughts and in no way the
> opinion of the whole mailman community.
>
> If anyone feels this was totally unnecessary, please correct me.
>
> On 25 February 2015 at 07:57, Andrew Stuart
> <andrew.stuart at supercoders.com.au> wrote:
>> Please disregard.  Apparently there’s websites that let you
>> search the Internet, through which I found:
>>
>> https://pythonhosted.org/mailman/src/mailman/commands/docs/inject.html

On 25 Feb 2015, at 10:04 am, Andrew Stuart