[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2015: brainstorming ideas suitable for beginners?

Sumana Harihareswara sumanah at panix.com
Tue Feb 17 13:46:13 CET 2015

On 02/17/2015 04:03 AM, Terri Oda wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In my role as org admin for Python, I'm trying to make sure we have more
> beginner-friendly ideas on the GSoC pages, and Mailman's among the
> groups that doesn't have any.  How embarrassing for me as a Mailman
> developer. ;)  It's also a problem for Mailman if we're applying as a
> separate organization, as Google seldom allows orgs unless they have a
> reasonable number of ideas suitable for open source newbies.
>
> (The idea behind this is that many students are very new to Open Source
> and we want them to at least get something out of the application
> process, learn how to set up their environments and learn about what it
> takes to get hired as a GSoC student.  Even if they don't make it in
> their first year, they'll be much more ready for later years!)
>
> I'd love some help brainstorming some actual beginner-friendly ideas,
> though, because I'm currently all idea'd out.  Anyone want to suggest
> some simpler things they'd like to see in Mailman that we could maybe
> put on the list?
>
> Suggesting and idea does not mean you have to volunteer to mentor them,
> although I'm always looking for new mentors too!
>
>  Terri

I don't know whether these are beginner-friendly enough, but here are
some thoughts:

* Per https://twitter.com/gvwilson/status/535279362871144448 -- a tool
that will take a thread from a Mailman mailing list and turn it into a
thread on a GitHub issue. Or any kind of GitHub API integration tool
(e.g., to automatically mail a Mailman list when a repo gets a new
GitHub pull request)
* A shared bookmarking tool that listens to a Mailman list, pulls out
URLs that people mention, and adds them to an OPML file or Pinboard
* Add new skins/themes to HyperKitty and/or Postorius (per
https://fedorahosted.org/hyperkitty/ticket/83 and
https://bugs.launchpad.net/postorius/+bug/1196608 )
* Expose new REST API features in Postorius
https://bugs.launchpad.net/postorius/+bug/1062925
* HyperKitty: RSS feed generation
https://fedorahosted.org/hyperkitty/ticket/84
* HyperKitty: Present all messages in a thread at once, and offer
plaintext download of the whole thread
https://fedorahosted.org/hyperkitty/ticket/88

--
Sumana Harihareswara