[Mailman-Developers] GSoC 2015: brainstorming ideas suitable for beginners?

Terri Oda terri at toybox.ca
Tue Feb 17 10:03:31 CET 2015

Hi all,

In my role as org admin for Python, I'm trying to make sure we have more
beginner-friendly ideas on the GSoC pages, and Mailman's among the
groups that doesn't have any.  How embarrassing for me as a Mailman
developer. ;)  It's also a problem for Mailman if we're applying as a
separate organization, as Google seldom allows orgs unless they have a
reasonable number of ideas suitable for open source newbies.

(The idea behind this is that many students are very new to Open Source
and we want them to at least get something out of the application
process, learn how to set up their environments and learn about what it
takes to get hired as a GSoC student.  Even if they don't make it in
their first year, they'll be much more ready for later years!)

I'd love some help brainstorming some actual beginner-friendly ideas,
though, because I'm currently all idea'd out.  Anyone want to suggest
some simpler things they'd like to see in Mailman that we could maybe
put on the list?

Suggesting and idea does not mean you have to volunteer to mentor them,
although I'm always looking for new mentors too!

  Terri