[Mailman-Developers] Soliciting feedback on idea for rounding out the permissions model.

Andrew Stuart andrew.stuart at supercoders.com.au
Tue Feb 17 02:37:00 CET 2015

>>>Are there any other permissions you can think of?

I figured that an archive, which isn’t really a Mailman resource anyway(?), has the same permissions as the list that it gets its emails from.

Are there any other Mailman resources beyond user, list, domain, server?  There is member, but that is really more of a relationship between a user and a list - not a standalone resource that requires permissions - is that right?

as

On 17 Feb 2015, at 1:37 am, Barry Warsaw <barry at list.org> wrote:

This looks like a reasonable analysis.

On Feb 16, 2015, at 11:39 AM, Andrew Stuart wrote:

> To implement, it would need to be possible to define as user as being a
> ‘serverowner’, and also to be able to define a user as being a ‘domainowner’
> for any given domain.

As you've noticed, we have IMember objects which encapsulate the list-centric
roles for users.  It's important to note though that this isn't quite complete
because it's possible for validated, non-user linked addresses to also be
subscribed to mailing lists, and then we have no trail back to a UUID.  I
think in normal operations though, this should be rare to nonexistent.

We have a natural place to hang user information on for domains, since we have
an IDomain interface (and a domain model/table).  In this case, I would
stipulate that only users can be associated with domains.  We'd probably need
to add a table to represent this relationship.

I don't know where to hang the siteowner information.  Maybe adding a column
to the user table?  It probably just needs to be a flag.

The alternative is to use some special list_id values in the member table to
denote a domain and the site, and then restrict the role to owner in both
cases.  I'm not sure I like this though.  It seems implicit rather than
explicit.

Are there any other permissions you can think of?

Cheers,