[Mailman-Developers] A couple of archiving questions

Pranjal Yadav godricglow at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 00:31:28 CET 2015

Hello Andrew

I may not be the best person to answer this but I will try to explain my
views, from the bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/postorius/+bug/987100 I
started looking at archivers and I talked to Florain and Abhilash. The bug
says that the tri-state for archiving is yet not available in postorius GUI
however we can control it from mailman configuration option. Florain
mentioned that the available archivers are exposed in the REST API. So it
should be possible to choose one (or more) of them in postorius.
In /mailman/src/mailman/archiving/docs/common.rst ; It says we have
Mail-Archive and MHonArc archivers available however there are some issues
with the non-public lists.

So to specifically answer your first question,
http://gnu-mailman.readthedocs.org/en/latest/src/mailman/rest/docs/lists.html#managing-mailing-list-archivers
would be a good start and archivers are already available in default
mailman installation.

I think I too need an answer for your second question and if the links
mentioned above can help you out with that, please do let me know as well.

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 4:29 AM, Andrew Stuart <
andrew.stuart at supercoders.com.au> wrote:

> Can anyone point me in the direction of a good explanation of how
> archiving works? I’ve found bits and pieces but the picture isn’t totally
> clear - it appears that archiving requires some sort of archive handler
> function to be written and installed as part of Mailman?
>
> Is there any reason why it should not be possible to be able to pull
> messages scheduled for archiving out through the REST API as file
> attachments?
>
> thanks

*Pranjal Yadav*