[Mailman-Developers] Support for X-No-Archive

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Feb 13 03:26:56 CET 2015

Jeff Breidenbach writes:

 > I checked

Thank you!

 > and these two lists are responsible. One uses 'No' and the other
 > uses 'no' for every message. I can't speak to the intention. There
 > are an impressive number of headers on each message including DKIM
 > but I don't see a clue as to the list server software.

I took a quick look at the archives for one of them.  From the
disclaimer in the footer it seems pretty clear that they intend to
make all of those posts public, which isn't surprising given that they
use your service. :-)

However, since it's on all posts and they also add a disclaimer to
each post, I conclude that it's something in their mailing list system
(whether it's actually coded in the MTA or the MLM, who could guess).
It's possible that their MLM suppresses "X-No-Archive: yes" posts, so
they never reach mail-archive.com, but again, we'd have to ask them.
More likely, they didn't catch the nuance that there's only one value
for X-No-Archive, and that is "yes" -- otherwise don't insert the
field at all.

So I think we can conclude that (1) individuals who intentionally use
lists doesn't provide any guidance to Mailman since Mailman provides
no facility for generating X-No-Archive itself.

Maybe it should?  Ie, for lists with "private" archives, maybe it
would be a good idea to add "X-No-Archive: yes" to the header to
advise chained lists not to archive?