[Mailman-Developers] Support for X-No-Archive

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 17:53:10 CET 2015

On 2/11/2015 7:37 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Only because it already has, except for the RFC, and
>
>      http://people.dsv.su.se/~jpalme/ietf/ietf-mail-attributes.html
>
> mentions the definition of "X-No-Archive: Yes".
>
> In practice, I believe most of the standard (Mailman's Pipermail[1],
> mail-archive.com, GMane) and large-scale proprietary archiving engines
> (Google and Yahoo! Groups) already do.
>
>   > I wondered if this had been done already somehow, or considered and shot
>   > down, and how others handle the problem.
>
> I'm not sure why Palme's I-D wasn't taken to RFC (Informational)
> status; probably it just was considered insufficiently authoritative
> since new headers are being invented all the time, eg, X-Spam and
> relatives aren't in it).

There is an IANA registry for message header fields (see RFC 3864 for
registration procedures). Of course, I don't know how many people who
write email libraries on any position in the spectrum are aware of this
in the first place, so adding X-No-Archive to that list is not likely to
matter one whit.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer