[Mailman-Developers] Support for X-No-Archive

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 12 10:42:34 CET 2015

On 02/12/2015 12:28 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Andrew Daviel writes:
>  >
>  > Experimentally, if I add "X-No-Archive: no" in Alpine or
>  > Thunderbird, pipermail will not archive the message,
>
> Do you consider that a bug?
>
> I'm not sure why anybody would use "X-No-Archive: no" in reality, I
> wonder if it's a mistake in interpreting the double negation.

As I posted earlier Mailman does not archive a message with an
no, empty or anything else. This is deliberate.

It does look at the content of an X-Archive: header which must be (case
insensitive) no to suppress archiving.

This is explained in the code and comments which Andrew quoted in the
same post partially quoted above

> I found it implemented in
> /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/ToArchive.py, viz.
>      # Common practice seems to favor "X-No-Archive: yes".  No other value for
>      # this header seems to make sense, so we'll just test for it's presence.
>      # I'm keeping "X-Archive: no" for backwards compatibility.
>      if msg.has_key('x-no-archive') or msg.get('x-archive', '').lower() == 'no':
>          return

So the experiment just confirms that the code does what it says. Given that

apparently does occur in the wild, if we can confirm that the semantics
of this should be 'do archive', file a bug and I'll fix it.