[Mailman-Developers] Why is postorius using python2?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Aug 5 03:23:24 CEST 2015

f at florianfuchs.com writes:

 > We don't have any direct Python2-only dependencies in Postorius any
 > more since we made the switch from django-social-auth to
 > python-social-auth/django-browserid in April. I'm pretty sure the
 > same is true for HyperKitty (Aurélien...?). So I guess there's no
 > reason why we shouldn't start supporting Python 3 as well.

That would be very helpful.

 > So the question would be: Go bilingual or py3 only? Bilingual was
 > what we had agreed on before, for the reasons Barry stated
 > above. But mabye this argument becomes less valid as time passes

"Less" in terms of numbers.  But remember than anybody who really is
stuck on Python 2 for some reason is 100% stuck.  The argument for
bilingual is no less valid than ever for that system.  Sure, it's
usually possible to run a separate instance, but that would mean that
they can't integrate Postorius or HyperKitty with the rest of their
site.

 > OTOH, supporting both py2+3 is probably not that much more work. But it
 > doesn't make our code much nicer and is not exactly a strong satement in
 > favor of Python 3 adoption.

It seems to me that punishing folks who have a dependency on Python 2
is hardly a strong statement in favor of Python 3, while providing
Python 3 support is the strongest statement in favor of Python 3 that
a project can make.  Since I'm unlikely to do much, if any, of the
work, I have no objection to obsoleting Python 2 support if you think
it's too much work.  But I hope we can bear some ugliness for a while
if that's the main objection to bilingual support.

Regards,
Steve