[Mailman-Developers] Why is postorius using python2?

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Wed Aug 5 02:20:45 CEST 2015

On Aug 04, 2015, at 11:01 PM, f at florianfuchs.com wrote:

>So the question would be: Go bilingual or py3 only? Bilingual was what we had
>agreed on before, for the reasons Barry stated above. But mabye this argument
>becomes less valid as time passes and Python 3 adoption is on the rise. Plus:
>If someone would want to integrate a py3-only Postorius/HK into an existing
>site *and* this site is not py3 compatible, it would still be possible to run
>both on the same server, using another VirtualHost/subdomain or similar.
>
>I'm thinking aloud here, not *necessarily* advocating to only support Python
>3 soon. But I wonder if there are really that many people who would be
>negatively affected by it. And, as stated above, for those who are, there's
>always a way around it. Mabye it's worth giving it another thought.
>
>OTOH, supporting both py2+3 is probably not that much more work. But it
>doesn't make our code much nicer and is not exactly a strong satement in
>favor of Python 3 adoption.

I can't really weigh in much because I don't know how typical Django users
would want to set up their Mailman site.  Would they expect to run all their
Django apps in a single instance, and thus a single interpreter version?  And
if so, would they be blocked from installing and running Postorius and
HyperKitty if they were Python 3 only?  What do other Django apps typically
do?

I *can* say that you'll almost certainly prefer coding in Python 3!  Also,
that 3.4 makes a very excellent base version to support.  And finally, in
general it's not that difficult to support both versions, though I don't know
how easy it is to support both versions in a Django app.  Official bilingual
support would have to at least be tested in both versions.

Cheers,