[Mailman-Developers] Regarding Csv Export for list owner in postorius

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Apr 24 04:36:11 CEST 2015

Adam McGreggor writes:

 > PDF has been an open standard (as much as 'open standards' are)

Some open standards (specifically, IETF standards) really are.
However, ISO standards rarely come up to that level, since all ISO
standards must be vetted by national or regional organizations (and
ECMA is about as bad as they come when it comes to kowtowing to
corporate interests).

 > since July 2008.

I stand corrected (I've been out of Ghostscript development as long as
Peter Deutsch has been out of it, so haven't paid attention to the ins
and outs of PDF).

Be that as it may, all of the open source PDF tools I know of are
pretty much crap compared to Adobe's tools.  For practical purposes
it's a binary blob.  If you know better, I'd love to hear about it.

 > Hasn't NT been End of Life-d now for over 10 years?

Not the point.  The point is that Adobe used its market power to
refuse to fix a bug that took the whole system down, and it wasn't a
MS-DOG-based system, it was a system that cleared the DoD's "Orange
Book" standard for security.  I see nothing in Adobe's current
behavior to indicate that it has become more open since.  (The opening
of PDF is consistent with cost-cutting in the face of an "innovator's
dilemma" in the PDF market and Adobe's move into dynamic presentation
like its acquisition of Macromedia.)

 > "[These atrocities] -- they all happened, and they did not happen
 >  any the less because the Daily Telegraph has suddenly found out
 >  about them when it is five years too late."
 >     -- George Orwell (Looking Back on the Spanish War, 1942)

What an apropros quote for a discussion of Adobe's "openness"!

Steve