[Mailman-Developers] Changing the default_moderation_action has no effect on existing members

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Nov 27 06:34:13 CET 2014

On 11/25/2014 08:41 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Aurelien Bompard writes:
>
>  > I suggest we leave the member's moderation_action on None when it's
>  > created, and modify the moderation rules to go look for the list's default
>  > setting if the member's value is None.
>
> I think this is a bad idea.  From the subscriber's perspective, it
> changes the list's behavior with no action from her, for no good
> reason that she knows.

But moderation_action, although a per-user attribute, is not really a
user setting. User's don't set their moderation_action or necessarily
even know what it is. It is a list admin/moderator function to determine
whether a user's posts are moderated in some way, and it is normal for
this to change (e.g. from moderated to unmoderated or vice versa)
depending on the user's behavior.

Granted, with Aurelien's suggestion, changing the default is done
without regard to the actions of some specific users, but still,
moderation and moderation actions are really list admin/moderator
functions, not user functions and users probably should not expect them
to be constant.