[Mailman-Developers] Changing the default_moderation_action has no effect on existing members

Tue Nov 25 18:39:59 CET 2014

On 11/25/14, 5:46 AM, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I'd like to discuss the algorithm we use to enforce a list's default
> moderation action. Here's what I understand:
> - the list's default_moderation_action setting is stored in the database
> and can be changed via the REST interface
> - when a new member is created, its moderation_action is imported from the
> list's default_moderation_action depending on its role (see
> model/member.py:84)
> - this member's moderation_action is stored in the database
> - it's the member's moderation_action that is used in the moderation rule
> (rules/moderation.py:52)
>
> As a result, unless I'm missing something changing, the list's
> default_moderation_action has no effect on existing members. Do I
> understand correctly?
>
> I suggest we leave the member's moderation_action on None when it's
> created, and modify the moderation rules to go look for the list's default
> setting if the member's value is None.
> How about that ? Other suggestions?
>
> Aurélien

The only way I could see that would be to make the flag 3 valued:
They are moderated
They are not moderated
They are in the default state of moderation, see the lists default value.

--
Richard Damon