[Mailman-Developers] [GSoC 2014] Mailman CLI Project

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu May 29 15:30:25 CEST 2014

Rajeev S writes:

 > > Also maybe you can try making your tool a little more smart? Like lets
 > > say I try to create a list abhilash at raj.com and there is no domain
 > > raj.com in the database, so instead of just showing error maybe you can
 > > ask the user:
 > >
 > > "The domain raj.com does not exist, Do you want to create one? [y/n]"

I'm not sure I like this approach.  Creating a domain should be a
heavyweight operation, and eventually should include a bunch of sanity
checks, like existence of domains and MX records.  I have visions
(nightmares) of users coming to us saying

    User: I said yes, but mail never arrives.
    Dev:  ....  Oh, is there a proper entry in the DNS?
    User: Doesn't Mailman create the domain?

 > > Or maybe it could schedule a deletion after a pre-defined time with a
 > > reasonable default lets say "1 Day"? And for an urgency(to delete) there
 > > could be --force argument?

Deleting a list should be immediate, but I agree it should be confirmed.